Rafael De La Cruz has spent centuries hunting vampires with his brothers, and with each passing year his capacity to feel emotions has grown weaker and weaker until finally there’s barely been a memory left-until only sheer willpower keeps him from turning into the very abomination he hunts. But it’ll take more than will to keep him away from the woman who is meant to be his and his alone…
For five years, rancher Colby Jansen has been the sole protector of her younger half-siblings, and with fierce determination and work she has kept her family together and the ranch operational. Now, the De La Cruz brothers are threatening that stability. They claim that her siblings belong with their father’s family, not with her. Colby vows to fight them-especially the cold and arrogant Rafael De La Cruz. But Rafael is after more than her family-he wants Colby and will not let anything stand between them. After ages of loneliness, the raw desire to possess her overwhelms his very soul, driving him to claim her as his
~ Back Cover
Colby Jensen- The heroine of the book who is a Dragonseeker (don’t know what they are yet all we know is they are one of the most powerful lineage of the Carpathians)
Rafael De La Cruz- The hero of the book who is a Carpathian Male
Paulo Chevez- Colby’s half brother who is a puppet for the Master Vampire
Ginny Chevez- Colby’s half sister
Chevez family- Colby’s stepfather’s family who is trying to take Paul and Ginny away fr Colby
Pete Jessup- 70 Something ranch hand for Colby’s ranch who turns up dead.
Kirja- Vampire who was once Rafael’s best friend.
Armando Chevez- Colby’s stepfather, Ginny and Paulo’s father
These are most of the characters of this book. There are a few others.
Where did I acquire this book: The Smithfield Library in Smithfield NC
- Although tragic one of my favorite parts of this story is when Colby’s stables burned down because, it showed an example of the lifemate creed in action. It showed that eventhough Colby made it clear, she doesn’t like Rfael he would risk exposure and his life for her all in the name of her comfort.
- I liked Colby alot she was not a D.I.D. (come on disney people!!!! For those of you that don’t know Hercules reference meaning “Damsel In Distress”) she was strong willed, protective and compassionate.
- I REALLY liked Rafael De La Cruz!!!! He is sexy, protective, possessive, mysterious and come on he is a Carpathian Male!!!!
- I really liked the conversation between Nicholas and Colby after Rafael gets hurt the first time. It is the start of the turning point of Rafael and Colby’s relationship because Colby started to understand (somewhat) what Rafael wasn’t telling her but also Christine Feehan fave us a deeper insight into the termoil of what Carpathian ales go through without their Lifemate.
- Lastly, When Colby kept Rafael from the brink of death, healed him, plus kept everyone who was helping her who most never met her and where along was away awake well past the time that the sun should have claimed them to the dead sleep was a Holy Cow moment!!!! She also was still transitioning when she did it!!!!
Somethings I didn’t like:
~ In chapter 9 I seemed to get lost, Feehan never told us what the terms were in the contract. (unless I missed it) Colby Read the contract one moment, the next was like sitting there listening to a couple talking in code that only they got then WHAM BAM THANK YOU MA’AM they were jumping each other’s bones…..
~ Also it seemed like Sean Everett knew what was going on in some ways and it bothered that he never came out and say something but I could have been wrong because it was an impression.
4 out of 5. I didn’t give this 5 stars even though this is one of my favorites in the series I was alittle lost in some areas.
What book in the series is this??
including short stories this is book 15 in the 29 book series
without the short stories this book is book 12 of 29
I was NOT asked to review this book I just read it and wanted to blog about it because I did love it and I haven’t done a review in so long. Also the photos are not mine I googled it!!!!
Author Fun stuff:
Barnes and Nobles: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dark-secret-christine-feehan/1100314971